My daughter and I laid in bed this morning, talking over a snuggle. She'd had a really bad dream, so I had her give it to me so she could be done with it. After she gave me her dream, she decided this was probably a good time to figure out this whole human sexuality thing. Because Wednesday.
Mom, do you know anyone who is gay?
- Sure do, honey. We have lots of family friends that are gay, and your Auntie C and Auntie M? Your cousins' moms? in case you hadn't noticed, they're both girls.
Do gay people make fun of each other for being gay?
- Nope, not really.
Do not-gay people make fun of gay people?
- All the time, sugar.
- Well, sometimes because they're scared of things that are different than they are. Sometimes they think people should stop being gay. Sometimes they're just jerks.
Like the jerks in Diary of a Wimpy Kid?
- Just like those jerks, yup.
Can people can stop being gay?
- Can you stop being right-handed?
I could try.
- It wouldn't work. Writing with your left hand doesn't make you not right-handed. Can you stop having green eyes? I think a world that didn't have anyone with green eyes would be pretty boring. In fact, I think a world where everyone was the same would be terrible.
Me too. Mom, why do they call it Gay?
- I don't know, honestly. It's kind of a ridiculous thing to call a type of person, isn't it?
Yeah, I think we should call gay people something else.
- And what do you think is better?
*thinks for a while* How about human beings?
- I think that sounds perfect.